9/26/08

BROKEN BONES!

On Tuesday Sept 23, our poor little Addie had an accident!  Addie & Ellie had just got home from gymnastics, and decided to go out and jump on the tramp, while I was dishing up their dinner, before I had to leave for a PTA meeting at their school.   I was in a hurry, so I finished up with getting things settled, before I rushed out the door.  As I was pulling out of the driveway, Jeff came running out of the house yelling 
"JaNeen stop! Addie has hurt her arm bad!" 
Panicking, I ran in the house, and Addie was holding her arm crying.  When I saw her arm, I thought I was going to throw up!   Her arm was so deformed, and looked so wrong.  Jeff was telling her that it was "just dislocated", and she would be alright.  In less than 2 minutes, I had scooped Addie in my arms, and Jeff and I were out the door heading to the hospital.  We were so lucky (Blessed) that Jenny had just stopped by our house, so that she could use our computer.   She was able to stay with Paisley, and Ellie.  
  When we got to the Emergency Room at A.F. they got us right in!  Addie was such a champ!  She was so sweet, and worried that they were going to have to cut her arm off!  We reassured her, that she needed her arm, and that everything was going to be just fine.  Little did she know that Jeff, and I were freaking out inside. 
Addie never really cried, until the nurse told her she had to give her an I.V. or shot.  Once she was high on morphine, they took E-rays.  
  When the nurse came back after seeing the X-rays, we could read concern on her face, and she told us that the Orthopedic Dr. was on his way.    When Jeff and I herd Orthopedic we said "Holy Crap! she broke her arm."
    I lost my composure, and cried.  The stress of the situation could no longer be handled.  Thank goodness Addie was sleeping.   We looked at the x-rays, and saw that little Addie had broken her bone in half, right above her right elbow, and also dislocated it.  The Dr. told us that we needed to go to Primary Children's Hospital, because most likely she would need surgery.  
Once we got up to Primary Children's, everything moved supper fast.  Addie was in surgery, within 2 hours.  She got 3 pins in her elbow, and she is now on the road to recovery.  She has to have her arm wrapped in a brace for 1 week to wait for the swelling to go down, and then she will get her permanent cast on for 3 to 4 more weeks, then she will have the pins removed. 
    I can't believe how vulnerable we are as parents.  I love my kids so much, and I just felt so sick about Addie being in so much pain.  I'm so grateful for modern medicine, and the ability (Morphine) to take Addie's pain away.  Its going to be a long road to recovery, with this little active girl.  She is so full of energy, and never sits still.  I'm getting very creative, with things for her to do!  She is going nuts not being able to be her normal frisky self.  I just love this girl! 


Addie getting her E-rays.  This picture gives her brake no justice, it looked much worse in person!

We just got her home, and tucked her in.  She was so excited about the stuffed animals the hospital gave her!

She thinks her arm brace is so cute!  Lets see how she feel about it in a couple of days.

The socks at the hospital were so big, that the nurse taped around her ankles to hold them up!  Addie thought this was pretty clever!

Everything was so cute at Primary Children's!  They let Addie order what she wanted, from their "Room Service Menu"

Ellie was feeling a little left out.  She had me wrap her arm, and put it in a arm brace!  Paisley is loving all of the pillows, and blankets, that are everywhere in the living room.

7 comments:

Bri!!! said...

Oh poor thing. I would die. I do not look forward to that inevitable day of broken bones. She is a champ. Right when I saw the picture I could tell she broke her humerus. Ugh. That is actually a really hard bone to break. What a scary thing to go through. I'm glad everything went great.

Amy @ OurScoop said...

That is a scary thing to go through!! Oh how sad!! Poor little thing! Luckily everything worked out for you guys to take care of her so quickly! I love primary's too! I was so impressed with them when we had to stay there with Cole!
Sadly, its times like these that can make you really appreciate your loved ones! Happy nurturing!
amy:)

Wendy said...

That sounds awful. I am glad she is recovering so well. THere is nothing worse as a parent then feeling helpless in a situation.

♥Stef said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe that picture! Her poor little arm. She is an active little thing, this is going to be hard for her. Tell Addie she did a great job timing her accident, she got to miss school and it's almost time to close the pool. Can you imagine if she did it at the beginning of the summer, that would stink!
Get well soon Addie!!!

Mommyof4 said...

Oh that story hits so close to home. I have practically the same story about Kate on our blog. I am just so so glad Kate didn't have to have surgery. Thank goodness it is still warm to dress her in sleeveless things. That was an adventure dressing her when it was cold! We hope it goes well for you! Tell her good luck for us--she will get to pick a fun color cast!

Sarah said...

That is my worst fear. I don't handle kids in pain very well. You should check out this web site. When she gets her cast you buy these designs that you shrink wrap to the cast. It is really cool. http://www.shrinkableskins.com/

This is Glen by the way.

courtni said...

DANG IT~~~~~ wow, I am so nervous for something like this to happen to Jett. I had quite a few casts and episodes on crutches that it's bound to happen but EEEEKKKKKK a crooked arm and surgery?!!?! Awwwww poor cute little thing.